Friday, August 19, 2005

Annual Mud Day


One of the wesandmen bloggers has entered soil as an interest in our profile. Because of the location of our abode, we do have lots of soil around us. It has been used for various purposes, including farming. My understanding of soil in that context is rather limited but I do have experience with the substance in various other veins, perhaps the most spectacular of which has been Annual Mud Day. This is a day in which the younger members of wesandmen are encouraged to wallow in the mud to their hearts' content. A hole is dug and water poured in until we have thick, dark mud, which is a variety of soil, by the way. The consistency depends, I suppose upon how much clay is in the soil. Clay is good for wallowing because it causes the mud to cling most becomingly to one's skin. We do have a champion wallower on Mud Day. Bachman's intensity for getting covered has not yet been beaten. Indeed, in other places he has been known as Mr. Intensity.
Cleaning off the soil from the Mud Day contestants usually falls to me and requires my favorite weapon, the HOSE. The old clothes have to be trashed and I have seen traces of soil remain in ears for weeks after a particularly competitive contest. It takes perseverance to hose down these brave contestants but I gladly take on the job. This is because I do not want the soil in my house, my primary domain and area of responsibility. Indeed, I have fought the good fight against soil in the house for many years. Sadly, when the battle is over and I am laid to rest, they will probably bury me in the stuff.

Rococo

No comments: