Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Never In My Wildest Dreams


I was sitting at the kitchen table one morning when I heard rustling noises behind the refrigerator. Then I heard chewing noises. Have I mentioned that I hate mice? As I headed toward the area, several mice came out. It was an alarming number of mice and they were large! I was getting the broom and aiming it toward the lot of them when one of them spoke. This was a surprise. Never, in my wildest dreams, would I have imagined a talking mouse.... actually chinchilla, because, as I looked more closely, it appeared to be a soft, gray chinchilla.

He said," Excuse me. Can we have some food?" With mouth gaping, I put the broom down, and peered at the group. The rest of them were mice, definitely mice...or rats. Some of them looked big enough to be rats! I was looking around for the broom again when the chinchilla said,"Please don't kill us. We are just hungry." I tried to calm down. Then I saw the mess they had made back by the refrigerator. They had chewed and chewed and there was sawdust all over. I took the broom and started sweeping while I thought.

"Maybe if I feed them just once, they'll go away." All their beady little eyes were upon me as I swept up their messes. "Ok. I'll feed you." I got out the Cheerios and the mice moved up to the table. I fed them. When they were finished I looked them all straight in their beady little eyes (the chinchilla's eyes were big, soft, and brown) and I said,"Now get back behind that refrigerator and don't come out till noon! And don't chew on anything!"

"I don't know if we can make it that long," said the soft chinchilla." We have fast metabolisms."

"You'll make it," I replied with determination. If you want to stay here, you'll have to make it. There will be no eating between meals."

About that time, my husband came into the kitchen, did a double-take, and grabbed the broom. He raised it over his head and I caught it on the way down.

" It's ok. I'm feeding them." I said.

When I awoke, I thought, "Another mouse dream. We have GOT to plug up those holes in the foundation!" The chinchilla was a new twist, though. Really cute. And soft. Those big brown eyes. hmmm.....

Rococo
image: www.whitewoodschins.com

5 comments:

connor said...

uh, mom? oh my...
ha ha

that's ok. i dreamt the other night that i was a gunslinger from the wild west, but instead of bullets, i shot little onion pellets.

must be a weird sandman dream thing

Wesandmen said...

How did you even dream about a chinchilla? My dreams are seldom that detailed. I don't carry around mental pictures of chinchillas. Additionall, why do your mouse dreams always revolve around the refrigerator? As far as I know, we have never caught a mouse back there. I guess you are just way more visual than me.

I think as-kian has lost her mind. Onion pellets? Wow. Now, if you had the urge to eat onions--along with mangoes and a dab of mustard, I could understand that, but the combination of the wild west, guns, and onion pellets...no sir. You need professional help. Oh, thats right, maybe in a couple years, you can counsel yourself. Whatever works, I guess.

Bachmann

Wesandmen said...

My dream makes perfect sense. The refrigerator is the heart of the house. Right? These creatures are invading the heart. Now, I saw a darling chinchilla at the pet store one time. He looked a little like a mouse but much larger and cuter. I thought it would make a nice pet, but they are very expensive. Anyways, I figure the chinchilla was able to invade not only the heart of my house, but also my own heart.

Askian's dream is tougher, but then she is a tough little nut. Keep in mind that the child is in a delicate condition and make a few allowances for her.
Rococo

Wesandmen said...

Okay, okay. It was just a joke. I did not realize I sounded so harsh. The comment was written in a light-hearted frame of mind.

I guess the chinchilla makes sense. Everything seems weird when you are up trying to do homework on a caffeine buzz.


Bachmann

connor said...

nope, i'm pretty sure it's not just the caffine buzz, bachman. I'm pretty sure that it's quite strange even without caffine.