Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Paradoxically


My paradoxical daughter told me the other day that she has both extreme exhaustion and a fair amount of more energy. The dictionary definition of paradox is: 1. A seemingly contradictory statement that may nonetheless be true. 2. A person, situation, or action exhibiting inexplicable or contradictory aspects. 3. An assertion that is essentially self-contradictory, although based on a valid deduction from acceptable premises.
I'm sure, therefore, that there is some sense and meaning in her statements that I am just not able to grasp. After all, God's kingdom is paradoxical in that the greatest are the least. Jesus said that he did not come to bring peace to the earth, but a sword, and paradoxically that He will give His followers peace. The sense of it comes in understanding what He meant, which was that His peace is not of this world, but of His father's kingdom where those who think they are great, will be humbled and those who are of seemingly little value in this world, but trust in God's grace, inherit His kingdom. Paradoxically.

Rococo
picture from www.smashingames.com

2 comments:

Wesandmen said...

That's a great picture! I like it almost as much as that "Dead End" sign we saw next to the Jehovah Witness church. But that one wasn't paradoxical.

Bachmann

Wesandmen said...

Thanks. I'm not sure I really understand paradox, though, because I am a very direct person.